Preserve your records

Preserve them for history, public education, and research at the NCTR

If you decide to preserve your records at the NCTR, you have a choice of two ways to do that: restricted access or open access. In either case the NCTR will use and share your records for public education and research to promote reconciliation. The NCTR is also committed to the respectful and dignified use of your records and of doing no harm.

Click here for the Consent Form.

Click here for the Consent form in Inuktitut.


Restricted Access

Restricted access means the NCTR may use and share your records with others for purposes such as public education, but only if the NCTR removes your personal information. Personal information means information that identifies you or could be used to identify you. Your personal information will be made available to the NCTR and researchers, but only under strict confidentiality conditions. Your personal information will not be available to the public and will not be published.

Open Access

Open access means the NCTR may use your records and personal information, including your name, for education and research to promote reconciliation, including by sharing with the public (which may include your family). However, the NCTR will not disclose certain personal information, such as your address, phone number, band or disc number to the public.

For both restricted or open access, all information that identifies other people will be removed before your records are transferred to the NCTR, to protect their privacy.